Further to the press comment following disclosure in Kumba’s results announcement, dated 22 August 2003, of the heads of agreement (the “agreement”) entered into between Kumba and Assmang (the “parties”), both Kumba and Assmang wish to provide the following clarification in relation thereto.
- The purpose of the agreement, which is not legally binding, is to evaluate and investigate the respective undeveloped iron ore deposits of Kumba and Assmang in the Northern Cape, which could result in negotiations relating to a possible exchange of deposits.
- Both Kumba and Assmang have been independently investigating other alternatives in regard to their own iron ore deposits.
For further information relating to this joint press statement, please contact:
- Mike Kilbride (Kumba) on (012) 307-3488, fax (012) 307 4537
- Phil Crous (Assmang) on (011) 770-6800, fax (011) 268 6035, or
- Bryan Broekman (Assmang) on (011) 634-9111, fax (011) 634 0440